Sunday, May 16, 2010

Walking with Dinosaurs

The Peoria Civic Center had a dinosaur show visit last week that topped anything I have ever seen. The best way I can describe it was like a circus, but with dinosaurs. Life-like, moving, growling, fighting, eating, walking, stomping robotic dinosaurs. They were so real that I had to remind myself they weren't a few times! The show was truly amazing. How they created these things, I can only imagine. They were full size, and there was a "paleontologist" walking among them, (and running from the T-Rex!) telling us about the different time periods and types of dinosaurs, so you could really see how tiny he was next to them! The show was pricey, but well worth it. Holden used some of his birthday money in order to go, and he and I went with Memaw while Daddy stayed home with Hunter. Holden is fascinated with dinosaurs, and I loved watching his expression and his huge, round eyes. He grabbed our hands at some points, but never got really scared. He loved it! (I think at his age I would have been petrified of the noise alone!)
My little dino lover in the back of Memaw's van. He wore his dino shirt and shoes, and insisted on sitting ALL the way in the back. He thought he was pretty cool. (Yes, I realize his pants are wating for a flood! This close to summer I am not buying new ones.)

NOT a flattering picture of me AT ALL, but it's the one shot of the three of us so here it is in all its glory. Holden and Memaw look cute. :)


Chomping on popcorn while we wait for the show to begin.


The pictures really can't do it justice, but you can see some of the dinosaurs and if you look closely, you can see the paleontologist in some of them, so you can get an idea of their size. When the brachiossaurus (we called it a brontosaurus when I was in school) put its neck out into the audience, I thought it was going to wipe out a row of people! They must time them and their placements perfectly.


Dino fight! They moved so fluidly and their skin even moved in and out, like they were breathing.


The T-Rex was pretty scary!


I am hoping this video turns out. I was having loading issues. It gives you an idea of what the show was like. I am so glad that I got to take my buddy to this! I know it's an experience he'll always remember. (Plus he has the 30 dollar plastic dinosaurs courtesy of Memaw and the 25 dollar t-shirt from me...those people really get away with the overpricing at these events!!)

2 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Wow...that looks really neat and the video works. I can't believe how real they look when they are walking. Ben would love that and it looks like Holden definitely did! :) FUN!

The Stille's said...

wow what a cool show