Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter '09

As usual around here, Easter was no small event. It is wonderful to have our family all in town; it also means quite a few celebrations! Holden and I were both in bed by 8:00 Sunday night. :)
On Saturday, Memaw (Jay's mom) and I took Holden to see the Easter bunny at Walmart. They were offering a free 5x7 and I couldn't pass that up, especially since I knew Holden was NOT going to be a fan! Remember the character phobia? Yep, still there! (In case you can't tell from the pictures below.) It didn't, however, prevent him from snatching a piece of candy out of the bunny's basket before he ran off to Memaw! See what you think....I believe his fear is justified...how creepy is that bunny?!
Memaw took the pictures below and I thought they were hilarious. I guess I am just a mean Mommy. Check out the expression of the guy watching in the background!


I do have to add this little story: on the morning of Easter, Holden woke up around 3am, screaming, "Mommy! MOMMY!" in a terrified voice. I figured he'd had a nightmare and brought him in bed with us. He went right back to sleep, clutching his blue "nigh-night." (blankie) In the morning, I asked him, "Honey, why were you upset last night?" He looked at me with round brown eyes and said, "Dat bunny was comin'!" Can you imagine??? He must have woken up and pictured THIS (check out bunny pictures) peeking around his door. Poor traumatized child!
Easter morning was so much fun this year! After assuring Holden that the bunny had already LEFT our house and was not coming back, he was thrilled with his egg hunt around the living room, and of course all the candy. It took forever because each time he found an egg, he'd stop, open it, and eat the candy before moving on. He was on a full-on sugar high by the time we got to church! He was very excited about his soccer ball and Easter books, too. I love how he has his little tongue out in some of these pictures as he is concentrating.
"CHEESE!"
Posted by Picasa
All dressed up and ready for church! Daddy had to work. :(
They still need cops on Easter. We missed him! During church, my friend Susan's son sang a song by Matthew West called "History." It was perfect for remembering what Easter is all about. The main refrain talks about "The day that love made history." If you haven't heard it, I encourage you to check it out!

I decided to let Holden run around in the backyard before church to run off some of that sugar energy! We had a nice day; cool but sunny. The grass is suddenly so green! I had a hard time getting him back in the house...and preventing grass stains! :) I meant to get him some new sandals before Easter but ran out of time so he wore his favorite "Scoobies." At least they're khaki, right?!
After a nice Easter Sunday church service, we headed to my parents' house for lunch. My brother, Eric, was there, and so was my Granny. Holden is really into the piano right now. Anything musical with that little boy! Jay was able to stop by and eat with us before heading out on a call. My mom made a delicious lunch of ham, fruit salad, lettuce salad, hot crossed buns (the cross was symbolic of the occasion), rolls, a hash brown casserole I brought, and of course Easter eggs! For dessert we had cheesecake and chocolate pie. Mom and I split a small piece of each; Easter comes but once a year. :)
Posted by Picasa
After lunch, Memaw and Aunt Allie met Holden and me at my parents' house, and the four of us headed out to Colfax, a small town nearby, for Easter with Jay's family. His family just keeps expanding, so for the second year in a row, they rented a church hall with plenty of room for everyone. It was great to watch the little ones run around together! Ironically, Jay's call was to Colfax, so once he took care of things, he was able to stop by for a short while. There was a huge spread of food; unfortunately I didn't eat much of it because I didn't pace myself well at my parents'! Holden always has room for more sugar, so he went straight for a big frosted sugar cookie with a "quack quack" on it and proceeded to eat all the frosting off of it before handing me the remaining cookie. :) We had an egg hunt out on the lawn. Aunt Allie was a big help with Holden. It was funny watching some of the little ones decide to just plop down on the lawn and munch on their chocolate. We had a fun afternoon!
Posted by Picasa
I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend!
More Destin posts coming soon!

3 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Wow...you had a full day! Looks like you really enjoyed it though. That really is a scary looking Easter bunny!! Cute pictures!

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

I am still laughing at the story of Holden waking up scared that the Easter Bunny was coming--after hearing it in person. Looks like he got over the incident pretty quickly. He is such a funny little guy! :)