Friday, January 1, 2010

Winter Break!



One of the big perks of teaching is having two weeks off for winter break! I love my job, but I also love having the time with family and friends. It is hard to leave Holden during the school year, so the breaks really help! Plus I come back so refreshed and re-energized. We had a big snow that started on Christmas Day, picked back up the day after, and snowed all through the night and well into the next day! It was such a pretty view out of our window. Apparently, Tiggy thought so, too. :)




Here is our backyard, so you can get an idea of how much we got. Meant to put the patio cushions away for the winter months...oops! They look like cupcakes now. :)





It has been really cold here (typical Illinois winter) so the snow has stayed put. Holden, for one, is thrilled by this factor! He has enjoyed a lot of outdoor play with Daddy, and a little with me when Daddy is at work. I enjoy it, but I already waddle as it is these days; putting on all the layers and moving around out there is a little harder for me this year! :) Jay took him to Menards and let him pick out a child-size shovel so he can be just like Daddy. They have fun shoveling together!




Since it is so cold out, Holden and I have enjoyed fun days of just playing inside all day, and also some "Mommy/Holden dates" to the mall, Discovery Museum, or even just the grocery store. It's good to get out for a little while! Holden loves to wear his boots and clomp through the snow and slush at each destination. We have started a habit of stopping at the Starbucks located in the grocery store. Holden will pass it and say, "Mommy, wanna stop for a little snack and watch the mixers??" He has a juice box and I have my caramel frapaccino, which he loves to watch being made. I snapped some pictures the other day of my handsome little date. At one point, he got into my purse and found some shades from this summer, which of course he then modeled. He wore them out into the snowy, gloomy day afterwards, which elicited a lot of chuckles from other shoppers. He's so cute!



I was putting makeup on in the bathroom attached to my bedroom the other morning. Holden was really quiet, which I always know is a reason to investigate! I found him in the other bathroom, just like this:




Standing in the empty tub, sans pajama pants but still in the top, coloring with his tub markers. At least he was coloring where he was supposed to! He makes me laugh each and every day, generally minute to minute.

Holden's cousin, Chelsey, came by to play the other day. Holden idolizes her, and she is so good with him. Very patient even when he bosses her around. :) They built a fort for one of my classroom guinea pigs (they are home for the holidays) to play in.

Break is just flying by! I can't believe I only have the weekend left. :( I really made sure to enjoy the extra time with Holden since it is probably my last break with just him. Hunter is due right around spring break. I am so looking forward to meeting him! I know it will be a challenge to juggle two little boys, but a very rewarding one. I just want to make sure that Holden doesn't feel left out, and knows how much he is loved. We went to see "The Princess and the Frog," and "Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Squeakual," (Holden enjoyed them both!) had play dates with friends and relatives, ventured out in the snow, had fun at his buddy Brady's 3rd bday party at Chuck E. Cheese, read lots of books, and played hard with old and new toys. Holden, I have loved my time off with you! You are one special boy and Mommy loves you the mostest!

1 comment:

The Stille's said...

it went way too fast but it is nice to have one. Love his elmo jammies!!