Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My "other kids" =o)

As most of you know, 5 days a week, 9 months a year, I have 25 or so kids ages 6 and 7. All at one time. In the same room. Ahh, the life of a first grade teacher! No, seriously, I love my job. First grade is such an incredible year of growth. They come in with baby faces, don't know how to put things in their desks, (in kindergarten they have tables) some are not reading, and are very "needy" of me. By the end of the year they do not even look like the same kids! I am always amazed when I look back at their Sept. yearbook pics. They learn and absorb so much, they fall in love with reading, and they become independent. First grade is a great age because they are old enough to do things on their own yet young enough that I still get hugs, drawings, smushed flowers they have diligently carried in their sweaty little palms for me, and of course all of those gap-toothed smiles! No two kids are alike and it is great getting to know all of their little personalities. Of course, some years are easier than others. This year I am experiencing a wonderfully sweet, easy-going group. Yeah! Here are a few pictures of my brood:


First full day of school! (Doesn't it look like A LOT of kids? I am always overwhelmed at first, but once I get to know them it doesn't seem like that many anymore.)



Writing spelling words with shaving cream...yeah, I am pretty crazy. But they love it!


My little cuties on the playground.


Crazy hair day....looks more like crazy kid day! I promised them if they took a few good pictures for me I'd let them do a silly one. Well, this one ended up being my favorite because they are just being kids.

Here's to kiddos and all of the wacky, wonderful things they do.



2 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Aww...cute post! I LOVE the crazy face/hair picture. I was laughing out loud! Your classroom looks so adorable too and WOW that looked like a lot of work to put together! How fun that you get to change little people's lives! :)

the cunningham family said...

Your class is so sweet! Enjoy them while you can...next year is not that far away! he he he! :) Glad to work next to you each day!