Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jay's bday!

As I mentioned, July is our busy birthday month! We celebrated Jay's 32nd bday on July 18th. Jay had to work, and as luck would have it, he was at the front desk. Which made it very easy for Holden and I to pick up these to drop off to him:
Holden was so excited to pick out balloons for Daddy! He chose Nemo, a Cardinals balloon, and an Elmo balloon. I also added in a 3 and a 2. (Jay said they stood for 23 though!) :) He also helped me pick out some trick candles for Jay's cake. When we got in the car, he insisted on holding "Daddy's balloons" the entire way to the sheriff's dept. I was hoping he could breathe behind them, but he was very determined! :)

Now, Jay is not one to like a big deal made about his birthday. He always says, "It's just another day," but of course that doesn't cut it with me. I was raised in the Bourke household, where we just wait for a good reason to pull out the streamers. So we headed in with the balloons and his favorite kind of candies tied to the bottom. He was surprised and a bit sheepish to see us, but he had to smile when Holden yelled, "Here's your balloons, Jay!" (He still calls him by his first name half the time due to hearing it at the softball games each week! The other deputies thought this was hilarious!)

We hung out at the desk with Daddy for awhile and then made a stop at Taco Bell for Jay's lunch request for him and the rest of the staff. You should have seen the look the guy gave me when I ordered 30 tacos. He even asked me at the window, "Do you know that three of those party packs means 30 tacos??" Ha! The balloons ended up going home with us because he was adamant that he did NOT want to carry them with him through downtown Bloomington and the parking garage. To be honest, if I'd had a clue where his car was, they might have been tied to the car. But Holden was so proud of them that I wanted them to make it home in one piece.

After Jay got home from work, his parents and little sister, Allison, and my parents came over for CJ's pizza (yum!) and a Cardinals cookie cake from Mrs. Fields. Jay wanted a low-key evening and it was very nice and laid back. Holden sat in his lap and helped him blow the candles out, and then...well as you can see from the picture, decided he needed to sample some of that red frosting right away! We laughed so hard. He also helped him open his presents: a new hammock and bags game for the backyard, some shorts he wanted and a new shirt, and gift cards to Fiesta Ranchera and Khols. We all helped finish the cake! :)

Here is a group shot of all of us. Yes, Tami and I have the same shirt on, no we didn't plan it! I cracked up when she walked in.

I love you, Jay, and so does Holden. We hope you had a happy bday! Next up: Aunt Allie's 14th bday this Wed!

2 comments:

Lexi said...

HI! I saw your comment on Mckmama! I wanted to share my website with you: Sugarandspice1.etsy.com
I will be donating a portion of all sales to the String of pearls to help families and babies like Stellan! I am trying to get it out there in any way I can! Please let your family, friends etc. I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!! :)
-lexi
Sugarandspice4baby.blogspot.com

the cunningham family said...

Love the balloons at Jay's work. Hilarious! I did that one time to Steve and he was not happy. I thought it was so funny though. Nice way to get them back for so many things! :)