Monday, October 26, 2009

The "Scary House"


I have always been a scaredy cat. A big one. I slept with a night light in my room until I left home and got married. And I still always leave the hall light on now. As a child, I was terrified of the dark and slept with the covers over my head. As an adult, I still have to have my feet covered so nothing grabs them!

My son fortunately did not seem to inherit these tendencies. Rather, he LOVES all things scary! Last year at age 1, he'd laugh gleefully and clap his hands at all the spooky skeletons and singing/dancing ghouls in the stores. This year, he continues that tradition with a love of all things Halloween. I mean, the kid is terrified of Chuck E. Cheese and the Easter bunny, but give him a good goblin and he's in heaven. Our friend, Bill, also loves Halloween and plans new decorations for his yard all summer long. Holden calls it, "The Scary House," and it has become a weekly tradition to drive by at night and explore. The place is pretty spooky, but Holden charges out with his Halloween flashlight and is tickled to death. Maybe I should be worried about him??








Posted by Picasa








Bill did get him pretty good the last time we visited. He usually works nights, but happened to have the night off. He dressed as one of the characters and stood there, waiting for us to walk up the path. Then he dropped a shovel right in front of us. I (of course) screamed, and I think that freaked Holden out more than the shovel!! He started bawling, and Bill quickly pulled his mask off and showed him it was just him. However, if you ask Holden about that little episode now, he'll shrug his shoulders and nonchalantly declare, "He not scare ME!!!" :)

No comments: