Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Getting back in the swing of things

After being sick for three days last week and not getting any better, Holden was diagnosed with RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) on Saturday. This was after three trips to the doctor, much discomfort on his part, and a lot of worry on ours! I had only heard of infants getting this, but apparently you can get it up to age 2 or 3, it's just more uncommon. The virus attacks the lungs and causes them to fill with mucus, similar to pneumonia. He had very labored breathing and a horrible cough. Very scary! He also had a double ear infection. He'd started on amoxicillan for one ear, and then it moved into the other. Apparently the RSV bacteria is resistant to amoxicillan. They put him on a heavier antibiotic and it seems to be working. We have had to do nebulizer breathing treatments every three hours around the clock since Friday night. It's like having a newborn again! Adults can't catch it, but they can catch a nasty cold and a fever, which Jay promptly got. So I have been "Nurse Katie" around here. I'm not sure who was harder to deal with....I love you Jay! I took Monday off to take care of both of them. Fortunately, Jay was on the mend by Tues. although still not feeling 100 percent. Holden's pediatrician told us he should not go back to the sitter's until next week even if he started to feel better; RSV is just so contagious to little ones. So Jay and I have taken turns taking days off, and his mom is watching him tomorrow since Jay has to work and I have a field trip. Needless to say, we are all ready for spring, warm weather, being able to air the house out, and HEALTH!!!!!!!!


Some pictures of my poor little guy doing just about all he did for the first 3 days...sleeping. Which was a relief because when he wasn't sleeping, he was inconsolable and very clingy. That is my living room with the guest bed mattress in it. I slept there with him to monitor him and give him his nebulizer treatments. Felt like an infirmary! I couldn't change the sheets often enough. Thanks, Memaw, for the extras you brought by!!! You'll see his dinosaur mask in the lower picture. He is not a fan and that was one of the few times he slept through it.

As you can see, I am happy to report that my little guy is FINALLY on the mend and starting to act like the little devil we all know and love! I had today off with him and I even bundled him up and took him out for some fresh air since there weren't any other kids around. It is in the 50's today which is like heat wave for us. He was THRILLED to be outdoors! It has been hard keeping him contained to the house now that he is feeling better. We also ran a few errands early this morning while there weren't many people out. We just needed to get out of the house!


Holden's new entertaiment that he and Daddy discovered yesterday; turning the guest bed mattress into a slide! He scrambles right up to the top and bounces down yelling, "Whee!" Whatever keeps him entertained!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Steph said...

Sorry to hear about Holden! That is so scary! I am glad he's getting better. :)