Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's All About the Hunt

When I was a little girl, my mom used to leave a trail of hearts for my brother and me to follow when we woke up on Valentine's Day. We each had our own trail, starting at our door and leading us to special treats at the end. As we got older, the trails became more elaborate as we enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. I vividly recall the year she taped hearts going all the way up the refrigerator for my brother to follow, and how we delighted in this. I started the heart tradition with Holden last year, when he was just 11 months old. He actually crawled after them, and I have great pictures of him chewing and ripping them to bits. This year, I was excited to see what he'd do.

Outside of his door....

Down the stairs...


Well, being my anal retentive almost-2-year-old, he took one look at the heart and announced, "UCK! UCK!" I guess he decided they must be garbage since they were foreign objects littering our hallway. He did follow them, picking each one up along the way and handing them to me. When we got downstairs, before he'd look at his presents, I had to throw the weird objects away. Cracks me up!!!! He was thrilled with his Matchbox cars, book, capsules for the bathtub, and Mickey Mouse sippy cups. He even made me open the package to the cups and tried to drink them! He is so funny. Here are some pictures of his "hunt."

Happy little guy! Yes, he slept in the V-Day outfit from yesterday. And no, apparently if it's his OWN litter that he has created all over the floor, he DOESN'T consider it "Uck uck!"

Jay and I are headed out in a few hours for whereabouts unknown to me! His mom is watching Holden overnight, and all I know is that we're going someplace an hour away. How exciting! It is so unlike Jay to keep a secret and so far I don't have a clue other than we will obviously have to eat and spend the night somewhere. I'll let you know when I find out! =o)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

You are such a holiday girl! The heart hunt is a cute idea. I'm sure Holden had fun and enjoyed all his gifts. I didn't get Ben or Natalie anything. :) He did get lots of Valentines at preschool though! You are a fun mommy!

the cunningham family said...

What a neat idea! I might have to steal that idea for next year. The boys weren't with us when they woke up on Valentine's day so we just gave them their presents. I will have to remember this one for the future...or you might have to remind me!