Saturday, August 14, 2010

In the good old summertime...

The. Hottest. Summer. EVER! At least that I can remember since I was a child. Illinois has been in the 90's and 100's for weeks now. Too hot to do anything except the pool, spray parks, or something in the air conditioning. Or you could decide to go to the McLean County fair one day. Very intelligent. But that's another post. :) These are just some recent randoms that I thought were cute.
The corn is sooo tall this summer! We had a lot of rain early on, which must have helped before the drought we're in now. This is in back of our church. I can remember playing in the corn with my cousins in Indiana when I was a child. Nowadays they plant it too close together to walk the rows.

My cute boys! I love how they both have the same pouty expression in the first picture. Holden's, as you can tell, is an ornery, "I'm not going to smile for the camera pose." If you could see the antics that I displayed in order to achieve the middle picture, you would laugh out loud. Or roll your eyes. :) I wanted to get some pics of them in these matching outfits because Hunter was popping out of the snaps at the bottom of his outfit! It no longer fits him at all now. He is such a big boy! So funny how different from Holden in his growth. But there's no denying they're brothers! I realized afterwards you can't really see the monkeys on each outfit, and Holden had stickers all over his shirt. Oh well!

Holden loves catching lightning bugs this year. When he's not "catching" crab apples from our neighbors' yard instead. :)

Another fun activity for Holden this summer has been fishing with Papa! My dad bought him his own fishing rod and Spiderman tackle box. Amazing how much patience he has, since Holden thinks he can do everything himself and this can be challenging! The one time I went with them, he kept catching algae and getting so ticked off about it. Papa patiently baited and re-baited the line numerous times since Holden would NOT allow him to help him cast his line farther out. He finally relented to let Papa help him catch a fish. Then it was hilarious because Papa just left it on the hook, and Holden would drop his line back in, pull it out over and over, and each time be delighted with the "new" fish he caught. Somehow he kept claiming each fish was bigger, too. It was really just the same poor fish. Papa finally released it and lo and behold, Holden plopped his pole down and really DID catch a fish all by himself, and it was the biggest catch of the day! They are so cute together and have gone several times since.

I have so many more pictures to post from various events and just fun summer days, but now the blogging will slow down. I finally found out that I will be teaching first grade at Sugar Creek El. (the school that I attended K-6!) and it took the district long enough to place me that I now have very little time to set up my room. I keep telling myself the phrase, "This too, shall pass!" it is slowly but surely coming along. I will post pics when I can. I am excited about the beautiful new room and I love my job, but it's so hard to leave the boys.

No comments: