Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sugar Creek

The past two weeks have been an absolute whirlwind. I waited all summer to find out if I would for sure be placed at Sugar Creek Elementary School. I was displaced from Northpoint when class sizes were cut due to a new school opening. I chose Sugar Creek because of the location in proximity to home and to my Northpoint friends (for lunch dates!), because they just added a new section on, and because I could stay in first grade, which I have taught for the past 7 years. Then they found out that there might not be enough students for two first grades, and the other teacher had seniority over me. So I just had to wait. The nice thing about it was that I truly just enjoyed my summer with my family and didn't think about school much since I really couldn't do anything about it. I found out on Thursday, the 12th, in the evening, that the class would for sure be splitting. Meetings started the 19th. Everything in the room was in boxes, and I had 1 week to get it all ready to go! This may sound like a lot of time, but if you are in the teaching world you understand it is not. Especially with two little boys at home! I am so fortunate to have wonderful parents and in-laws that watched the boys basically the whole week, and friends and family who came to help in the room.
This is what it looked like after Day1. Annie and her mom, Gloria, came in the night before with me and helped me move furniture and the desks. I spent the next day unloading all of my books and putting things in the cabinets. 7 hours and it still looked like this!

Some days, Holden came with to be my "helper." He really wanted to be with Mommy, and I felt so guilty since I knew by the time I got the room ready, I'd be back to school. He loves that Sugar Creek has a new playground, so we spent some break time out there, and then I relied on the good old DVD player in the room. He was honestly a little angel; watched his movie, played with games, and sorted through my treasure chest. I think he ate more candy than he did at Halloween, but he was quiet and happy and let me work. :) He really likes my birthday hat for the kids.

Sweet, silly boy. Love him!

Jay had to work a lot of overtime the same week that I needed to get ready. Murphy's Law! He couldn't do anything about it. But he did come in on his day off and spent 2 and a half hours hanging clips from the ceiling for me to display the kids' artwork. It was not a fun chore but he was a good sport about it.

Posted by Picasa

My parents spent their week either with the boys or in the classroom with me. They brought me food, rolled tape balls, hung things up, put things away, cut, stapled, you name it. Dad climbed up on a big ladder and fell off (luckily on my carpet area!) hanging something. He also made numerous trips to the store for items that I needed or for drinks or food for Mom and me. I so appreciated your help, Mom and Dad!

Finally, the night before the first day of meetings, I was ready to go! Here I am peeking out my classroom window. Ready for kids!

My transformed room, welcome bags on the desks. The room is HUGE, and truly amazing. I love the big windows, the carpeting, all of the nice wood storage, the Smartboard, and the kids' little cubbies. I feel SO organized now that it is all said and done. There is just so much room for everything!

Some shots of the room. The clothesline is for displaying artwork. The Superstar door opens to a very nice, large, bathroom.

My "book nook," the front of my room with dry erase boards and a Smartboard, and the kids' cubbies.

Love my big new desk! It is funny and nostalgic being at Sugar Creek, because I attended it K-6 as a child! One of my former teachers (Miss Thomas, 5th grade) and my PE teacher (Mrs. Eaton) are still there! I miss my Northpoint family very much, and I do hope to rejoin them in a few years when some of the first grade teachers retire. Specifically, I miss working with Annie each and every day. We are so close and did so much together between our two rooms. But I know that God plans everything for a reason.

Finally, the 19 smiley faces that make this all worthwhile. Teaching is such a rewarding job. It is shaping up to be an interesting year so far. I have one with severe social/emotional issues, a diabetic child, a child with a very sad home life, some with physical needs, and one on the autism spectrum. Fortunately I have a wonderful t.a. I know that God placed these children in my hands and placed me in this building because we were meant to be together this year.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Heather said...

Katie, you are AMAZING! Amazing mom and teacher!! Your students are very lucky to have you as their teacher. I can tell you take such pride in your job and care very much about them. That's so neat that some of your old teachers are still there!

You'll do great at Sugar Creek! Your classroom looks so awesome and you have a smartboard!! Very cool!! What happened to using transparencies, lol!

The Moser Fam... said...

Cool post...loved seeing your new classroom...that looked like a TON of work...wow!! Your students are all so cute and I can tell, like the last commenter, that you take such pride. I'm sure the kids are lucky to have you!! I'm sure Annie will miss you at Northpoint too!

The Stille's said...

Looks great Katie

Steph said...

I can't wait to see your room in person! One of these days I'll make it over there. I am excited for our weekly lunches! It's not the same this year but like you said, you WILL be back! :)