Sunday, August 22, 2010

McLean County Fair 2010

Holden was so pumped for the fair this year! It's fun that he's old enough to know what it is, ride the rides, and enjoy himself. It was a heat index in the 100's (as usual!) on the day that we went, which meant my boys had cute, rosy cheeks, and I had frizzy hair and pit stains. Lol! We went with Memaw, Aunt Allie, her boyfriend, Jeremy, and cousin Chelsey. Despite the heat, we had a good time. It is so much fun for me to watch Holden having fun at the fair like I did as a child.

Fortunately, there were cool things for kids in the air conditioned building, too, so we rotated in and out as we needed to cool off. He also got to play just a couple of the total rip off fair games. They are such a waste of money! But so enticing when you are 3. He did manage to win a few small stuffed animals. They only cost me double their normal price! Ha! You know, because we need more stuffed animals at home.

Little Hunter, my trooper baby. He has recently been able to start sitting like a "big boy" in the stroller, without his carrier. He LOVES it! Makes it much easier to take him places, as he wasn't a big fan of the confining carrier. He spent his day at the fair in the shade, air conditioning, or by a fan. I do think he had fun people watching. His hair is sticking up extra high in the middle picture because Memaw cooled him down by putting water in it. :) Yes, he does have super long legs. WHERE he got that from, we have NO idea!!! He is still in the 97th percentile for length. I stood him up next to Holden yesterday, and he is up to Holden's shoulder!

Holden rode the pony rides all by himself this year! Made me realize how big he is getting. It was nice not having to walk with him and dodge the manure! But still, kinda sad that he is so big. He really liked it and asked to ride twice. I did feel sorry for the ponies because they had to be dying in the heat!
The little petting zoo area was also a big hit. I remember him crying last year when the animals took food out of his hand. This year he had no fear, and was very selective about all of the animals having their turn. :) Hunter liked watching the animals and was laughing at them. All of a sudden I heard Holden yelling, "HEY! Do NOT eat my baby brother!" I look over and one of the goats was nibbling on Hunter's toes!!! Hunter was just smiling away and kicking his legs. After that I pulled the stroller back to a safe distance. But you can see in the bottom picture how the same goat was still interested!

Finaly, some pics of the "big kids." Chelsey, Allison, and Jeremy on the Tilt-A-Whirl, (used to be my all-time favorite; now that I am old, it makes me sick.) :) and Jay and Chelsey on some flying ride. Jay is ageless when it comes to rides. He enjoys them and can do them all. Not fair!

I don't think I've ever needed a shower so badly in my life as I did after a day at the fair in August. Note there are no pictures of me: there is a reason!!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love this post! Sounds like all had a fun time despite the heat. Glad you could salvage Hunter's toes too! And that flying ride....that looks fun!!

The Stille's said...

sounds like a good time...I just couldn't bring myself to get there this year too hot