Sunday, January 18, 2009

Holden-isms

Holden is at a really fun age right now in that he is starting to really make connections in his little world and "get" things. This can often be quite humorous! Just a few funny stories from the past few days:
1.) The other morning, I heard a series of loud "MEOWS" and Holden's high-pitched voice (it gets really high when he has a question, which is comical) saying, "Where go? Where go?" I came downstairs to find that he had cornered one of our cats, Callie, and was trying to look underneath her. He had his hands up in a questioning pose. I said, "Holden, what are you looking for?" He turned to me with a very puzzled expression and asked, "Mommy, where be bu go?" He wanted to know where the cat's belly button was.

2.) I was holding him before breakfast, and my stomach growled very loudly. He looked startled and said, "ROAR!" before scrambling to get down out of my arms. I thought I had scared him. He came running back with his lift-the-flap animal book opened to the tiger page. He grinned at me and proudly announced, "Mommy ROAR!" Thanks for comparing me to a tiger, Holden.

3.) I was telling him we were going to church, and he said, "Bubbles!" They sometimes blow bubbles in the toddler room so I told him yes, they might blow bubbles. Then he said, "Papa go potty." I started laughing as I recalled that last week he had to wait while my dad went to the restroom after the service. I am so glad to know that is what he gets out of church: bubbles and my dad going using the bathroom!!!

4.) Last night we went to our friends, the Polletts, house for a get-together with several other families. Upon arriving, Holden made his usual rounds, going to see who was down in the basement, what was going on in the living room, etc. He kept coming in the kitchen and looking at Mike and Kam, who were both talking with the other adults. He became more and more agitated, going downstairs and pointing out Brady to me, then wanting me to help him back up so he could look around. He started softly saying what sounded like "Karly." We have a neighbor named Karly who is good friends with Aunt Allison, so I told him, "Karly isn't here tonight." He looked extremely upset then and said, "WHERE KY???" That's when I realized he was looking for the Polletts' baby, Kylie. She was asleep in her little seat on the table. He must have thought we all abondoned her! He made me put him on the kitchen chair so he could check on her. He said, "Ky nigh-night?" When I confirmed that yes, she was asleep, he climbed down and ran off to play with an extremely relieved and satisfied look on his face. So cute!

5.) When we got home last night around 8:15, I told him it was time for bed. He hadn't eaten much at the Pollets', (imagine that!) and he ran to the cabinet, grabbed a pan out, and said, "Cheese, please!" Requesting that I make mac n' cheese. I told him it was a little late, and he went to the fridge and asked that I open it. When I obliged, he pulled out the butter, pointed to the milk, and then grabbed a spatula out of the drawer. He knew all the ingredients and was trying to help me! So we ate mac n' cheese at 8:30 at night.

6.) When looking at his Wiggles book yesterday, I was reading the lines, "Play your guitar with Murray." He said what I thought was "juice." I said, "You want some juice?" He shook his head and kept insisting, "Jush! Jush!" It finally dawned on me: "Holden, are you saying, "Josh?" He clapped his hands and smiled, saying, "Jush." We went to our friends, Jena and Josh's house the other night with the Cunninghams and played Rock Band on their Wii. Josh played the guitar quite a bit, and also let Holden pretend to play on the guitar. So when Holden saw Murray, he remembered Josh.

7.) The other night, Holden could have cleared out a room with the smell of his diaper. Jay asked, "Holden, did you poop?" Holden gave a sly little look and said, "Noooo." So I asked him again. He avoided eye contact, walking around the room trying to find something to distract us with. He grabbed his talking Elmo and said, "Melmo (I love how he says his name!) pooped!" I guess he thought he could blame it all on poor Elmo. So I laid Elmo next to Holden and I put a diaper on him while Jay put one on Holden.

8.) Finally, this morning I went to brush my teeth before church and came downstairs to an interesting sight. Jay had set two laundry baskets with clean, folded clothes in them in the living room last night. Holden had moved his toy grill right up next to them, and now there were two empty boxes of Kraft mac n' cheese (which had been in the garbage) laying in one of the baskets. I asked Holden how they got there, and kept saying, "cheese! water!" I didn't get it, other than he was obviously playing some kind of cooking game. So I shrugged and went to throw the boxes away. He ran out to the kitchen and pointed to the strainer, which was still in the sink. He proudly said, "cheese! water!" I realized the laundry tubs have little openings on the side similar to the strainer. He was trying to strain his mac n' cheese.

He is such a funny little guy! If only I could get inside his little head sometimes.
Here is what he was using to "stir" the laundry tub; a vacuum attachment.

Below is the laundry tub with the mac n' cheese containers in it. (He is making loud noises with the vacuum hose in the background.)


1 comment:

the cunningham family said...

I love when they start to get things. I remember when Colin started doing that and I loved each and every moment of it. I can't wait for Cade to start communicating with us. ALl of the stories made me laugh out loud! The last one trying to strain his mac and cheese, it hilarious! I love reading the stories, keep them coming! :)