Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holden's first gingerbread house!

As a frequent flyer of Walmart, for years I've seen their gingerbread house kits and though, "Someday I want to do that with my kids!" I was thrilled when Jay and I were shopping the other day, and they had them for only $2.68! The kit came with all the house pieces, a chimney, gingerbread people, and a gingerbread tree, plus all the candy and the bag of frosting. It also had a tray with grooves in it that made the construction part fairly easy. Holden loves helping me cook (even if he doesn't like to eat much!) and he was so excited! I had all the candy in a bowl, and as you'll see below, his favorite way to "help" was to eat it! He did like putting the candy on the house, but he also thought he was entitled to then pull it back off and eat it, so I had to keep an eye on him. We had a fun morning creating, and I don't think it turned out too shabby!

Here is Holden hamming it up with his finished house.

Our creation process. (Click on the collage to see the pictures bigger.) The one of him on the floor with his candy bowl is how I kept him quiet and in one place while I cleaned up. His teeth may fall out, but it did serve my purpose! =o)
Our gingerbread house. It kinda reminds me of the Hansel and Gretel story. The one on the box is a lot prettier, but I was just proud it stands on its own!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Cute gingerbread house! Ben has the Imaginarium Train Table too. That thing has come in very handy (he's had it for several years). Sorry about the whole fiasco, but hopefully it will be worth it! Sounds like Holden has quite the Christmas to look forward to from Santa tomorrow morning! Enjoy your time w/ you fam! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

the cunningham family said...

Very cute! I meant to do one of them with Colin this year, but of course, time ran out...there is just way too much going on it seems like! We are now trying to clean our house with all of the new toys they got for Christmas...I don't think it will ever end...
Holden looks like he did very well, even if he did get a sugar high! :)