Monday, June 15, 2009

The "Z double O" and the torch run!

"Z double O" is the phrase that Jay and I use to refer to the zoo when we don't want Holden to know what we are talking about. Namely, because he LOVES the zoo, and saying the word in front of him is kind of like saying "walk" in front of a dog. Not that I'm comparing my son to a dog. But it does have a similar effect! :) If you say "zoo," you'd better be prepared to take him there! On Friday, Holden and I met up with Brady, Kylie, and Kam for a zoo visit. We had great weather, and spent a little over 2 hours there. Brady and Holden actually ate lunch "on the move" in their strollers.
I love that they had their opposing team hats on all day! They look so cute together.


Holden loves smiley little "Ky-Ky," as he calls her.


Climbing on the tiger statue is a "must" each time we are there. Holden calls it "the Roar."Can you tell I slathered him up with sunscreen? His forehead is glowing!


The petting zoo was open, and Holden loved brushing the goats! When he wasn't pointing out the "gross poopy." At least I've taught him to look out for it! :) It was neat to see how fearless he was this year; last year he was too timid to even touch the goats.


Posted by Picasa

Buddies taking a break. They have so much fun together!


I took a ride on the carousel with the boys while Kam and Kylie watched and took pictures. Both boys wanted to ride the elephant, so I really had to play up my sales pitch for how awesome the Dalmatian was. Luckily, Holden bought it! :) Upon exiting the ride, the man running it asked me how my "two cute sons" came to be wearing opposing team hats. I explained that they were best friends, not brothers. The man raised his eyebrows and said, "We'll see how long that lasts with the team thing!" Kam and I laughed and told him the boys' daddies have been friends for years and haven't let it get in the way. It makes for some fun ribbing at games.


Some more zoo shots. We saw the sun bears get fed, the hungry tiger roaring (to Holden's delight! He roared back at him), and had some hands-on fun in the zoo lab. The boys love the kitchen area in there. Holden was extremely brave and held a millipede! EWWW! I don't have an actual shot of him holding it, because it was a split second before he realized he didn't like the tiny legs crawling on him (again, Eww!) and flung it in the air! Fortunately it landed on the carpet (and not on me!!) and the zookeeper said it happens pretty frequently. I love the shot of Kylie in her sun hat. She is such a happy baby, always grinning, drooling, and showing off her dimples and those big cheeks!
After the zoo, Holden and I hunted Daddy down on his second torch run with the county deputies for the Special Olympics. The deputies made sure to put all the lights and sirens on for him, and he of course ate that up.

Jay ran with him for a teeny bit of the way. Holden thought he was hot stuff.


Kinda blurry, but Jay is the third one from the left.

I love this father and son shot. Holden thinks his Daddy is the best! He cried the whole way home for nap because he wanted to "run with Daddy and the beep beep lights." :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: