Friday, July 4, 2008

I love you, Grandpa

I was at the neighborhood barbeque and just got the word that my beloved Grandpa has left us this evening. We knew this was coming but it doesn't make it much easier. I am smiling a bit through my tears as I think about the fact that he loved celebrations, fireworks, and food....I guess we could say he left this world with a "bang," on the 4th of July, so that there is no doubt he won't be far from our minds in the years to come on this day. I am thankful for the 27 years that he was a part of my life. I am thankful that he came to my wedding, that he met and loved Holden, and that we were able to spend his 87th birthday with him. There are so many, many things that I will miss. His hugs, his huge smile, that twinkle in his eye, his zest for life, his jokes, his silly songs, and most of all just him. He was a wonderful, loving grandpa who spoiled us as kids while still managing to teach us all kinds of life lessons. He was slow to anger and quick to laugh, and we knew he loved us just the way we were. The world was a better place with him in it. I hope he is dancing with the angels tonight, watching the fireworks from an entirely new point of view. I love you, Grandpa! You were loved beyond measure. You will live with me now in my memories.


1 comment:

the cunningham family said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. He seemed like an amazing man. I am sure he is in a better place right now and can watch over everyone. I am sure he would have loved some more cookies, but is probably just happy knowing everyone will be together again today to honor him.