Monday, June 16, 2008

Bourke Family Father's Day!

Yesterday we drove with my parents up to River Forest, IL to celebrate Father's Day AND my Grandpa Bourke's 87th birthday! My Aunt Mary had us all over to her beautiful house (and the only house that can easily hold our expanding brood!) for a day of food and fun. My Dad is one of 6 siblings and they were all there, along with many of their children, and Holden makes the first great grandchild! This visit was especially poignant because it was the last time many of us will visit with Grandpa here on Earth. Some of you know that he has a tumor and has been given only a few months before he leaves us. I am so grateful that he is still feeling relatively little pain, that he was very alert and "with it" during our visit, and that we are blessed enough to be able to say our goodbyes.
Grandpa is known for his sense of humor and how quick he is to crack a joke or give us some good-natured ribbing. That has not changed! He is also known for his sweet tooth, and he got very spoiled in this area on Sunday! A cake, cookies, brownies, anything he wanted he got-and he took advantage of it! My brother, Eric, and I always remember our summer visits at Grandma and Grandpa's when we were kids. We'd stay for a week, and on nights Grandma went out, Grandpa was in charge. We loved those nights because he'd wait until she was gone and lead us to various parts of their condo where he had his stashes of sweets hidden from her! =o) We'd each get to pick something out and then we'd head to the park to play and enjoy our loot.
The day was a happy occasion, as we all enjoyed celebrating the way Grandpa likes it best. Happy birthday, Grandpa! You are one in a million and loved beyond measure.

"Happy Birthday to you..."
Aunt Mary provokes a big smile from Grandpa
as she hands him his cake!

Family picture!

Grandpa's sister, my Great Aunt Florence, (in front)
surrounded by (from left) Uncle Paul, Grandma, Uncle Bob,
Uncle Dave, Cousin Susan, and Aunt Mary

Holden and Daddy walking in the backyard together in their matching outfits!



The pool heater and filter were not working much to Aunt Mary's dismay, but Holden and Daddy still checked out the water much to Holden's delight!

There's a giggle!


Four generations: Grandpa ,(note the two cookies!) Dad, Holden and me
I don't think Aunt Bev realized she was in the picture! =o)


My family with Grandpa. Do you like how Eric and I are looking at the camera,
Holden is looking to the right, and Mom and Dad are facing left?
There were about 20 cameras snapping at once and nobody knew where to look!

Jay jumps in for a full family shot.

The Bourke bunch!

I snapped this shot of Holden on the way home. He was NOT a happy camper! Tired of being in his seat, tired of all his toys, tired in general (needed a NAP!) and I decided if you can't beat 'em, take their picture! He got me back about 2 seconds later when he cried so hard he threw up all of the goldfish crackers he'd just eaten. Onto his new white shirt. Are we there yet???

We're HOME! As soon as we got out of the van Holden was instantly better. Here he is with his vacuum in one hand, heading over to investigate the contents of the cooler Daddy dumped in the driveway. (Can you see the lovely orange stain from the goldfish on his shirt?)

Ice...fascinating stuff to a 14 month old.

Before the Bourke bash we got Holden dedicated at church in the a.m.
I will post those pics next time.

2 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Looks like a fun day and really special for your grandpa! Loved seeing all of the family pictures. Your brother looks just the same...I don't know how that is possible! :) Holden was cute...even in the crying carseat picture. I know what that is like!

the cunningham family said...

I am so glad everyone was able to gather for your grandpa. I know it is not a fun situation to be in but I am glad to hear the day went so well. It sounds like everyone had lots of fun, even through the car crying...get a DVD player for those longer rides, they work wonders! Love the outfits for Daddy and Holden.